Monday, December 12, 2011

Korean Foodie Diary: Korean Drinks

In Korea, I expected to eat a lot of weird things and I certainly have - soondae, chicken gizzards, octopus just to name a few.  But I have to say that the variety of drinks I've had are the strangest.  One of my one on one students often brings me a cold drink during class so I've gotten to try all sorts of things.  Here are some of the most unique drinks I've gotten to try....who knew Korean people would make drinks out of these things??

1. 식혜 (Pronounced like "Shik-hye) - Korean Rice Punch


What's in it? : malt powder (barley)white rice, ginger, pine nuts, sugar, water
Health benefits: digestion, blood circulatin
Caitlin's rating: What don't Korean people make out of rice, seriously?? Although the rice cake wins as my favorite thing made out of rice, this drink is decent.  It's sweet and nice to drink after spicy food but super awkward to drink.  I feel like I'll choke on the rice in the liquid.

2. Ginseng drink



What's in it: Ginseng (sometimes an actual root in it), water, honey
Health Benefits: Similar to caffiene benefits - improving the digestion, Aiding in respiration, Rejuvenating the body, Lessening physical and mental stress, Counteracting, Strengthening the immune system
Caitlin's rating: I don't care how good ginseng is for you and how scientifically proven it has been.  This drink is really disgusting.  Reviewers call the taste like "dirt" and I don't disagree. It's like something trying to be sweet but is bitter and dry with a funky after taste.  If you want to try something delicious with ginseng, I highly suggest Samgyetung (Chicken ginseng soup).

3. Aloe Juice



What's in it: Water, aloe vera gel powder, aloe vera gel, honey, ructose, sugar, citric acid
Health Benefits: natural detox, digestion, anti-oxidants, Collagen and Elastin repair for healthy skin, Nautral Immune support
Caitlin's rating: When my student brought me this, I gave him the weirdest look and asked if Korean people really drink this...in America, we use Aloe for sunburn.  It just seemed creepy but I tried it.  The texture is a bit strange, rather thick and there are bits of aloe floating in the drink. BUT this actually tastes good.  It's sweet, like a less mild lime flavor. 

5. Corn tea

What's in it: tea made from dried and roasted corn kernals
Health benefits: relief from tiredness, reliever for abdominal swelling, vitamin E for the skin, good source of Iron, reducing high blood pressure, relieves tiredness and stress. Corn tea is also promoted to give the face the "V-line" ...mmm yeah, I don't buy it.  Bone structure isn't something you can change by drinking.



Caitlin's rating: Also tried not to give my student a weird face when he brought me this. The taste is not bad.. a good mild flavor for tea. But I just cannot get over the "liquid butter popcorn" smell.

5. Pine bud drink


What's in it: I couldn't find it...but yes, boiled pine is one of the ingrediants
Health benefits: again, couldn't find...but Koreans will definitely say "It's good for your health..."
Caitlin's rating: I was discussing Chuseok with my student and I asked him if there were any special foods for this Korean holiday.  He told me yes, rice cakes made from pine.  What?? I was sure he was pronouncing this incorrectly.  Nope, pine trees.  And not only rice cakes, but there was a beverage too. This drink got the biggest "Are you freaking crazy you crazy Korean people make a drink out of this??!!" look out of all the weird drinks.  But I'm keeping to my word and advice from my friend, "Try everyone involving food at least once."  To sum up the taste: Smells like household cleaner.  Tastes a little better than it sounds. Flavor is similar to Aloe juice?? But ohhhhhhh the smell...

And I am still awaiting to be presented with a drink made from beans because Koreans make everything out of beans... a yummy spicy sauce, an icy dessert, and yes, even popsicles...So bean soda, I'm waiting...but not excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment